Sunday, April 29, 2012

 Fat Free Vegan's Zucchini Frittata

One of my favorite food blogs, is Susan Voisin's FatFreeVeganKitchen. Her photos are gorgeous (you may have seen her work in Nava Atlas's Vegan Holiday Kitchen, which came out last November), and the recipe's are delicious and inspiring. It's one of my favorite recipe resources.

This vegan frittata (think crust-less quiche) is one of my families favorite FatFreeVegan recipes. It's the perfect light, savory and healthy supper. Pair it with a green salad, some vegetable soup, or simply enjoy it on its own (mom and I enjoyed ours with a bit of salsa).

Here is the link to the recipe - FatFreeVegan Zucchini Fritatta. I do make a few alterations to Susan's recipe:
  • In the silken tofu mixture: I omit the oregano (a matter of personal taste), add three cloves of garlic instead of the one, and as I don't usually keep tahini on hand, I add 1 TBS of raw cashews to the blender. 
  •  I use an entire block of extra-firm tofu instead of half - makes it a bit heartier.
  • For the veggies: instead of shredding one zucchini, I thinly slice two of them and add about one cup of finely chopped broccoli. In the past I've added spinach, which is also tasty. You could really do any combo of veggies you like. 

Straight out of the oven!

I like to serve it straight out of the pan instead of inverting it onto a platter, and if you actually allow it cool for a bit after you take it out of the oven, it does firm up very nicely - and looks like pie when sliced. However, we didn't the patience to wait! So while it looks a bit messy, it still tastes really freaking good!


With Salsa :)

I hope you enjoy it, and check out FatFreeVegan




No comments:

Post a Comment