Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Quick Post-Yoga Zucchini Noodles in Peanut Sauce 

with Smokey Baked Tofu 

Gluten-free

So after an hour of sweaty, exhausting power yoga (and a shower) all I wanted was a big bowl of carbs! Pasta to be exact.  However, that doesn't exactly go along with my gluten-free aspirations. I also wanted something quick - as the post yoga hunger set in. So, I improvised! I keep coming across recipes that replace noodles with sliced zucchini, and this seemed like a good time to give it a try. Especially considering the fact that my parents recently returned from visiting my aunt in Missouri with bags and bags of fresh produce from her garden. We'd already used most of the cucumbers in a quick pickle, and eaten more peaches than I ever thought possible - however, we still have quite a few zucchini and summer squash, so I decided to use thinly sliced squash and carrots in place of pasta, toss on a light Pad Thai-esque sauce (because to me, there is nothing more comforting than something smothered in peanut butter), and add some baked tofu for protein. And it turned out rather lovely - and quick! Light, yet filling, and absolutely yummy. By the time the tofu was done getting crispy and delicious in the oven, the noodles and sauce were also ready to serve - about 30 minutes.

I call them Zoodles! Get it - zucchini+noodles - brilliant, I know. Also, as you'll see in the pictures, while I began with the best intentions of creating fine thin strips of squash using a peeler (my mom does own a mandoline, I'm not afraid to admit it - that thing terrifies me - I just know that I'll walk away from it missing skin, so I chose to ignore it's existence). However, after the first squash, I got a bit tired (so many sun salutations), and whipped out my knife - and I actually liked the slightly thicker slices, as they held up better to the blanching. And yes, I chose to blanch the squash, but I may simply saute it next time- I think it would give it a bit more color and flavor.

I love it when an experiment turns out well, and I will definitely be making this again.

Zoodles in Peanut Sauce with Smokey Baked Tofu

serves 3-4

Zoodles:
4-5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced into long strips (with a mandoline, if you dare! Muahahaha!)
3 carrots, thinly sliced into half moons

Sauce:
1-2 TBS natural peanut butter
2 TBS wheat-free Tamari
2 TBS rice wine vinegar
1/8 tsp ground ginger

Tofu:
1 package Extra Firm tofu, sliced into 12 pieces
2 tsp wheat-free Tamari
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional)

1-2 TBS roasted unsalted peanuts, finely chopped (optional for garnish)

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

For the Tofu: 
Combine the tamari, garlic powder and liquid smoke in a small bowl. Set aside, and lay out your tofu slices on a cookie sheet (I don't find it necessary to oil the sheet, but you can always wipe it down with a bit of oil if you find that your tofu sticks - I find that about 1/4 tsp of oil on a bit of paper towel smeared about works well - plus, no need for propellants!). Using your fingers, or a brush, brush half of the tamari mixture onto the side of the tofu facing you. Flip them over, and use the rest of the mixture on the other side. This doesn't need to be pretty -just get it as even as you can. Pop the tofu in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove and flip the tofu strips. Place back in the oven, and bake for another 15 minutes, until the tofu is crispy and golden. I find that cooking the tofu at such a high heat gives it an almost fried texture and flavor.

For the Sauce:
Combine all ingredients (it's okay if it starts to separate a bit), and set aside. That was difficult.



For the Zoodles:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While the water is coming to a boil, prepare the veggies and tofu. Once the water comes to a boil, blanche the squash and carrots for about 2 minutes, until tender. Remove from the water and drain in a colander. Run under cool water to stop the cooking process. Pour the blanching water out, and return the zoodles to the pot, and add the sauce. Mix to heat through. Serve the noodles with several slices of tofu and garnish with chopped peanuts and enjoy an easy, delicious and healthy dinner!





No comments:

Post a Comment